Good ol’ Turmeric! I first came across turmeric when I ate some GOOD chicken curry for the first time when I was in South Africa. That curry was so delicious! And I was curious about the ingredients and when I found out that one of the main ingredients was turmeric (it’s the curcumin curry the yellow, orange-ish color). Once I looked up turmeric and did some research on it, I never looked back. Curcumin/Turmeric is so powerful that there has been over 9,000 academic research articles published on this herbal spice!!! Go ‘head Turmeric!!
Here are the why’s and how’s of my usage of Turmeric:
- I started using it to clear up my acne. Although there are many causes of acne, it is basically inflammation of the skin. While I’m intentional about what I put on my face, I’m also intentional about eating and consuming certain herbs, foods, and spices, as they help to reduce the acne inflammation, internally. So turmeric is good for that.
- When I remember to do it, I add turmeric to my morning lemon water. I’ll throw a lemon in my ninja bullet, some honey, water, and a little turmeric. When mixed with lemons, turmeric becomes good for the immune system and digestive system.
- I also saw a recipe awhile back called, “Golden Milk”. I keep meaning to make some of this, but I keep forgetting. But basically, it’s coconut milk (warmed or heated), mixed with honey and turmeric). Supposedly, if you drink it before bed, it helps a person to go to sleep and additionally, helps with digestive problems.
- Because Turmeric is good for inflammation, it’s also good for problems with arthritis, gout, rheumatoid, and swollen and painful joints.
- Turmeric also helps to reduce low blood pressure and low cholesterol.
- Now, I should also add that I add just a little of turmeric when I make the lemon water….like a teaspoon, maybe two teaspoons.
- Turmeric is also supposed to be a mood booster and helps to reduce nervousness and anxiety problems.
- It also boosts the immune system, due to its strong antioxidant properties.
- Because turmeric helps with digestive issues, it also helps in weight loss and water/fluid retention problems.
- And lastly, look in your kitchen cabinet—it might be in there already!